zondag 8 maart 2015

Can't wait for spring - broken dishes

March is my turn in the comfort circle.  I've contemplated many ideas and blocks. Scrappy ones, another themed quilt (like the boat beach quilt, maybe birds and bees), and lots of other blocks I hoard on pinterest. You can find my overflowing board here. But after the hard work for Lotjes blocks in February (which were definitely worth it) I've decided on something simple and done in a flash.

I'm always very inspired by Rita from Red Pepper quilts and I have had this quilt in my mind for a long time. www.redpepperquilts.com/2011/06/broken-dishes.html. I have never made an all solids quilt and I don't own enough solids to make it and keep it interesting. I love the freshness and colorfulness of the design, it reminds me instantly of happiness and spring. And that's what we need right now!

And broken dishes are really an easy block to make. You make 4 HST's'(Half square triangles, it took me ages to find this out, you can find many tutorials if you google it) from 2 colored and 2 white squares and sew the HST's together as a block. The HST's need to be 6 inch square to make an 11 1/2 inch unfinished block. I've used 7 inch squares and trimmed the HST's down to 6 inch for accuracy. But you can use the method you like of course. And you can make them any size too!

I've made a green and a pink version. And I can't wait for all the colorful crisp blocks to come in my mailbox!



See you soon!

Pin It

1 opmerking:

LOTJE zei

This one was really great to do, and I love the picture you showed that had all blocks!! All those different fresh colors, totally good & crisp indeed

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...